Many people simply don’t realize the damage that chemical fertilizers can do to your lawn, your family, your pets and your groundwater. They also don’t realize many of the benefits offered by organic methods, even beyond that of the non-toxic nature of such methods.
- Heavy spring application of nitrogen concentrated fertilizer makes lawn grow faster, greener, and fuller than without it.
- “-icides” provide a quick control of pest, weed and disease problems through eradication.
- Water solubility of chemical fertilizer leads to quick release. Lawn only receives benefit of about half of application
- The half that is received causes a spring growth spurt which depletes lawn’s carbohydrate reserves for times of stress.
- Excessive nitrogen application tends to lessen lawn’s natural self-sufficiency. Lawn grows short roots and relies upon fertilizer to sustain itself.
- Any chemicals used will slow or halt natural decomposition processes so that thatch can accumulate.
- Increased soil acidity from chemicals forces earthworms & micro-organisms to emigrate from soil. These organisms normally would assist in aeration and decomposition processes.
- Most grasses do not take well to the high acidity levels in chemically maintained soils.
- EPA registration of a chemical does not imply that the chemical has been proven to be safe. Many used regularly by lawn-maintenance companies are possible carcinogens and could also cause nervous system damage. See the EPA facts link at bottom of page for more information.
- Moderate application of natural fertilizer takes a bit longer to achieve the lush, green lawn you want in the spring.
- Chemical-free control measures do not completely eradicate weeds and pests.
- Water insolubility of natural fertilizers provides for slow release so that lawn has time to benefit from whole of application.
result of slow release is no rapid growth spurt to deplete the lawn’s carbohydrate reserves.
- More moderate percentage of nitrogen, in proportion to other nutrients in fertilizer, lets lawn remain independent with strong root systems.
- Natural fertilizers will maintain or increase the rate of decomposition by adding beneficial micro-organisms.
- Natural fertilizers and top-dressing create little or no pH change (no acidity increase). Therefore, earthworms and microorganisms remain to maintain soil.
- Grasses will thrive at neutral pH levels which are created by eliminating chemical applications from lawn maintenance.
- Natural fertilizers and chemical-free control measures will not harm you, your family, your friends, your pets, or your lawn. You can sleep soundly knowing that your lawn is healthy and those you care about are safe.